Wednesday, October 26, 2005

High-priced tricks, treats


In my house, Halloween is the most important holiday of the year. It’s shocking to me, but my school-aged kids have more interest in free candy, scaring the crap out of each other, and dressing up in gore than they do in gifts on Christmas Day. Around here, the frenzy for a pillowcase full of wrapped-up sugar starts in September.

I guess I shouldn’t be so surprised. My neighbors start decorating in September. They lay out bundles of hay, miniature graveyards, electric chairs, bloodied bodies; you name it they’ve got it. I’m the rebellious neighbor who waits till the week before to buy pumpkins!

Of course, the kids poured over Party City’s Halloween mailing of $20 costumes for people under four-feet tall. You probably guessed it—we received that mailing in September.

But, this year, we’ve topped even the most ghoulish of towns. We have Halloween USA. That’s right. The strip mall three blocks away used an open space to bring us the Mecca of Halloween stores. Now, a trip to Rite Aid has become a struggle through traffic. I’ve decided to ride my bike until they close down. (I just hope it doesn’t turn into a Christmas store!)

What the hell has happened? We’ve gone mad over Halloween. Maybe it’s just me, but I have no recollection as a child of this much commerce being built around Halloween. Right now, as a country, we’re spending billions! When I was a kid, we threw something together from fabric and old clothes. There was no buying of anything! Have we all become suddenly wealthy or is this a fast-food holiday?

What’s your Halloween budget? Did you start saving in July? Me, I’m unemployed, so this year we’re all going as hobos.

3 Comments:

At 8:45 AM, Blogger alpharat said...

Our budgets not big, but we've been collecting Halloween decor for years. You'll see on Saturday!

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger tanagrame said...

You could have a Halloween rummage sale! Actually, after writing this, I thought I should've put a disclaimer in there for you and Nick. You guys have a good excuse for spending oodles.

BTW, kudos on Paris!!! What up, trying to make husband of the year AGAIN? This is making me want to sing that song...did you ever know that you're my hero! ;-)

Now, I think I'll take that trip back out to my cows...

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger Spencer said...

I love halloween. I guess since I don't have kids, the holidays that have the best parties are my favorite and I believe Halloween and New Year's Eve are the two biggest party days a year (and I bet Super Bowl Sunday is a close 3rd). Everyone loves a good party.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home