Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Valerie Cherish: gimme that labia


This summer HBO came out with a comedy called The Comeback, starring Lisa Kudrow as the has-been actress, Valerie Cherish. The show sucked. Kudrow made an attempt, but damn it, she just isn't funny.

However, the script is based on a funny premise. It requires you to love how much you hate Valerie Cherish. Kind of like how you love to hate Archie Bunker. But, without the success of that formula, there's no show. Kudrow couldn't pull it off.

Her only accomplishment was making you annoyed with HBO for letting her be center stage.

Not all is lost! With Kudrow out of the picture, I'm thinking The Comeback should come back--with Madonna as Valerie Cherish. Madonna would give her that necessary evil that will make you love to hate her. I mean, we already love to hate Madonna, right?

If HBO can't cast Madonna, maybe they can get her labia to do the part.

Trackback this pic to Something Requisitely Witty and Urbane.

2 Comments:

At 4:37 PM, Blogger stray_thoughts said...

A similar thought occurred to me about this just last night!

I never even saw this particular show (but I love HBO's other shows, especially Entourage & Six Feet Under).

I never wanted to go out of my way to see The Comeback, b/c while I like the premise, I didn't want to see Lisa Kudrow in a show called The Comeback...less than 2 years ago she was collecting millions on Friends...she's been in a number of successful movies...she doesn't seem to have been down & out. The problem for me wasn't that I didn't find her funny, it was that Lisa Kudrow in that role just felt patronizing at that point, not funny.

I agree with you; she may have helped develop the show, but she shouldn't have been the main character. Cast someone that we want to hate or see make an ACTUAL comeback. (No one should be subjected to Madonna's acting & I've never seen her labia act in anything.)

It may not have been funny, but I didn't want to see Lisa Kudrow in that role anyway...now another 2 years of bombing & I might be ready for her in a show called The Comeback.

I know she was acting in a role and I shouldn't take the title so literally, but she's not that good an actress...

 
At 8:14 PM, Blogger tanagrame said...

You make 2 very good points:
1. Nobody should be subjected to Madonna's acting. (Her labia made only a few brief appearances. It's not enough to make a judgement call of ability.)
2. Kudrow should've been experienced some down time first.

There are success stories on of producers/writers also playing the lead. (Larry David, Bob Newhart) But, it appears to be the exception.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home