Thursday, November 03, 2005

It's called Ramadan and there are restaurant specials



November 4th ends the month of Ramadan with a boisterous celebration of the Eid al-Fitr. Ramadan is a Muslim remembrance--marked by prayer, fasting, and charity--to pay homage to the time when Muhammad received the first verses of the Qu’ran from Allah.

The reason I know this is because I live in Dearborn, Michigan, and the public schools are closed from Wednesday through Friday this week, which begs me to understand why.

I didn’t think much of the school break, since I'm rather introspective when it comes to Muslim issues. I’m at home with the kids right now, so no special arrangements had to be made. The holiday break for Eid didn’t put a crinkle in my schedule. So, I didn’t think much of it.

Until this afternoon.

It’s Thursday. Garbage day. Time to pull out our trash for the next day’s 7:30 AM pick up. (Yes, there’s no blowing off the garbage haul to the curb at my house. You won’t be able to run out there at 7:00 AM in your undies—unless you’re very, very determined. I don’t know any people like that, thankfully.)

As I dragged my garbage cans down the drive dutifully, I noticed my neighbor’s pile. He had some beat up drums sitting on the curb. When I saw those drums, I had my first striking thought about Ramadan, and I wondered if the garbage would indeed be picked up the next day. Or, would it be held up a day like on a Christian holiday?

Gosh, I hoped not. I didn’t want to see those drums sitting out there like that, even if they did remind me of how my young neighbor has learned to really kick some shit on the drums. Take ‘em away. They make me sad.

Still, I’m remembering Ramadan.


I'm wondering about my tenses.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home