Sunday, November 13, 2005

More than a promise, a guarantee from Kalamazoo

Earlier this week I heard an astonishing thing on the radio: free college tuition for all Kalamazoo K-12 students. Unfortunately, the radio hosts didn’t have any further information, and, in fact, they thought it might be a wild rumor.

Later that day, I called the City of Kalamazoo and checked the school district’s Web site, but I learned nothing more of this “rumor.” I dismissed it because I didn’t think it was possible that such an extraordinary event could occur, especially when it would involve millions upon millions of dollars.


I’m amazed to learn today from the Detroit Free Press that the rumor is true! Anonymous donors are offering to pay up to 100% of college tuition for all of Kalamazoo's high school graduates starting in June 2006, as long as attendance is at a Michigan public college or university.

I’m in complete shock about the enormity of this generosity. College tuition is becoming more and more out of reach, especially for middle-income families who are just beyond the income limit for receiving aid.

I personally spent many years scraping by to stay below the income limit so I could receive federal aid. Can you imagine, intentionally staying dirt-ass poor so you can afford to stay in college? It's a complete contradiction. And, I’m not talking about reducing my income from one cushy number to another. I had to reduce it from $12,000 per year to under $6,000. That was just enough to subsist on Ramen and Budweiser, so I didn’t complain much. Even with the aid, I still racked-up student loans totaling $20,000.

Since tuition is a major concern for many parents and college-bound kids, the Kalamazoo plan, called Kalamazoo Promise, must come as a tremendous relief. The plan is the first of its kind in the State of Michigan, providing a 100% scholarship for children attending in the district from kindergarten through 12th grade. While its backers are aimed at providing Kalamazoo’s 11,000 students with a college education, they’re also hoping the plan will boost Kalamazoo’s economy by attracting new residents and businesses to the city.

I only have eight more years before my first born starts college. Maybe it’s time to consider a move to Kalamazoo. Heck, it’s close to the lake!



Free Press article.

3 Comments:

At 7:35 PM, Blogger Angeline Rose Larimer said...

Hmmm. Tom and I have been researching where to make our next move. And Kalamazoo IS closer to family.
Hmmm.

Ramen noodles are delicious!

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger Segue said...

That's pretty amazing. Do you think there is any sort of catch?

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger tanagrame said...

Gosh, I hope not, especially when the promise of a future for thousands of kids are at stake. But, yes, it is pretty amazing, isn't it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home