Wednesday, December 07, 2005

God's got a sign for you

Have you noticed how God has hired an ad agency to remind us of his presence? Billboards are popping up all over the Detroit metropolitan area promoting messages from God in knocked out type.

I’m sure that God has good intentions, but it’s a little strange to imagine him (or her) sitting in a room full of ad junkies nodding his head in approval or disapproval over a campaign pitch.

This is what I think every time I see one of these billboards. I see God, in his infinite self, disagreeing with the hardworking creative team, giving his input and shoving his muddled ideas down their throats. “Sure. Of course, we can do that,” says the creative team with smiles on their faces.

Then, when God leaves, they agree in stereo how retarded he is. This isn’t right. I shouldn’t be forced to put God in this context.

Driving down Interstate 94 heading west toward Ann Arbor, God tells us “Feeling Lost? My Book is your map.” I don’t want to be cynical about God, but I’m pretty sure he isn’t going to help me when I get lost off the Jackson Rd. exit. Will God help me navigate my journey in life? Absolutely. But, I shouldn’t be thinking about such things while driving my car. I’ll start thinking about how troubled I am, how I can’t pay my bills, how I’m a lonely, aging fool with no purpose. Deep in thought about the pursuit of some guidance, I’ll forget where I’m at and plow my car into the back end of a semi-truck. Do I now get to sue God for putting that damn billboard up?

These billboards prompted me to investigate. I’m concerned about the intermingling of commercial advertising and God. God is an all-powerful presence. And, the last I heard, he was pretty popular. Does he really need an advertising scheme? Apparently, some people think he does.

In 1998, an anonymous donor hired an ad agency to come up with a campaign that would get people thinking about spirituality and their relationship with God. The donor simply wanted to spread positive thoughts about God. There were no specific religious affiliations tied to the messages--just thoughts about God, signed by God.


The original campaign started in Florida and gained wide attention. Ultimately, the Outdoor Advertising Association of America (OAAA) donated billboard space throughout the country, totaling a value of $15 million. Yikes! That's a lot of loot. Imagine the various other good deeds that might have gone toward. The OAAA felt that 2005 has been a troubling time for America, and that it might be helpful to get us all thinking about God again. God's popularity must have dropped a few points between 1998 and 2005. The GodSpeaks billboards are sprouting all over the country again, displaying a set of nine quotes from God. I pray none of them causes an accident.

10 Comments:

At 8:44 AM, Blogger OneMoreSnooze said...

Oh, gurl. You so funny to ME! (Fellow Michigander here!) (Michageese)(Whatever) I see them all the way up 75, too. Okay, maybe only one or two. But whenever I see them I cringe, especially the "I beleive in you... Why don't YOU believe in ME?" That makes me WANT to drive into the back of a semi. There's God, all thinking about little old me... and there's me... thinking about when the next rest stop is and is it one of those homo ones? and do they have any cheetos left in the vending machine? and what IS the draw of Frankenmuth can anyone tell me? All while God judiciously and graciously is there believing in little old me. Your new fan, burning in hell....

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger stray_thoughts said...

I'm watching you.
-GOD

P.S. I know what color panties you're wearing.

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger Angeline Rose Larimer said...

Yay! Abishaggie!!!

I'm too angered by these signs to write such a kick ass post as this. You need to run God's campaign.
(Chika is quite amusing, as well)
((God, stop looking at Abi's panties! Ya perv!))

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger tanagrame said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger tanagrame said...

oops, I got that backwards...let me start again.

WM-

Ayerrrr...(that's the pirate in me).

I concur with Chika's hilarity. Did you see that Denis Leary bit?

About God's pervity...he knows all too well that sometimes I'm too lazy to wear panties.

 
At 9:34 PM, Blogger tanagrame said...

Mr. Mulcahy... ;-) You incredible goof.

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Good post.

Honestly, I don't know that the God campaign is any more distracting than, say, vanity plates, but in all fairness I should probably have my presence on any interstate broadcast in advance so people can stay away from me. I am SO tuned into another world when I drive -- I can't be distracted because I'm already elsewhere.

 
At 11:41 PM, Blogger tanagrame said...

R1-

This is a fun-loving and, often times, comedy blog. Get that straight. I have no qualms or insecurities. You should lighten up a bit.

M

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger alpharat said...

Who let this guy in here?

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger stray_thoughts said...

Someone needs to lay off the communion wine...or maybe lay into it a little harder. It helps when contemplating ones finite existence.

The bad drivers with the religious bumper stickers kill me too.

..Thanks for nearly smashing my front quarter panel. Your impatience & total lack of regard for the safety of others is incredibly Christ-like. Yes, this is me flipping you off...see you in hell!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home