Thursday, December 01, 2005

Stately grapes

It was a good day for Michigan wine enthusiasists. The Michigan Senate committee unanimously passed legislation allowing direct shipments to Michigan consumers from wineries throughout the United States. This includes Internet sales.

Under the legislation, Michigan consumers will be able to buy up to 1,500 cases of wine in a given year over the Internet and through mail catalog sales. That's a lot of wine! A total of 18,000 bottles of wine per customer in a year's time. That's more than enough wine to satisfy the average wine-aholic. But, the greater good about this legislation is that it allows for the purchase of out-of-state wines that consumers would not ordinarily be able to buy unless they visited the wineries in person.


I became very attached to some Washington State wines when I lived in Seattle. But, I've had to go without because I now live in the Midwest. With this new legislation, I can order those favored bottles directly from the winery. Sure, I'll be obliged to provide my age through a verification of some sort (e.g., fax, email of a driver's license), but that inconvenience is miniscule compared to the inability to savor wines outside or my grocery store or specialty region.

3 Comments:

At 7:15 AM, Blogger alpharat said...

Oh my Dear Maureen...

How can you disregard some our bestest Michigan vienyards so? I understand you may be fond of the Northwest wines, but I have a few Michigan vintages to suggest when next we see each other...

 
At 7:35 AM, Blogger tanagrame said...

Hey, cool pic! I'm not dissing our Michigan vineyards. I'm just making the point that we now have a much wider selection...like the entire country! ;-) Nonetheless, I'm holding you to those suggestions.

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

You've made my day! Now, if we can just get them to allow shipments from New Zealand! Have I got a sauv blanc for you:-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home